Monday, May 18 2020 to Sunday, May 31 2020
The Urban Design Committee has a fun stay at home challenge for everyone. In this challenge, let us look at what is happening outside through the lens of a camera (cell phones make for great cameras). So, open your windows and share your images!
When we take photos, we use all kinds of things to frame our images and get the viewer’s eye to focus where we want it: architectural elements, monuments, city scape, lighting. You know what can be a great frame? An actual frame — a window frame.
Windows make up an abode, but they are also there to give us an opportunity to look outside, be aware of what is happening in our environment, in our community, in our city. Since we are all stuck indoors, this month’s photography challenge topic is the View from the Window Challenge!
Entries are open to all who are not a member of the AIA DC Urban Design Committee.
How to Enter:
- Focus on a subject relevant to the theme
- Share a compelling photo
- Post on Instagram with #uddcwindowview & tag @aia_ud_dc or email it to email@example.com
- Include a title, location, and date
The image can be just about anything as long as you follow the theme — the beautiful suburbs seen from your living room window, the hustle and bustle outside your office building, or a breathtaking cityscape from a high-up observation deck.
If you feel like you are ready for a challenge and want to take it a step further, participate in the bonus tasks (one or all):
- Take a picture of the sun set
- Take a picture of a landscape
- Take a picture through the glass or another medium to add texture to your photo
- Take a picture to include a historic monument
- Take a picture of a full interior scene with the view as a partial element
- Take an image focused on someone’s eyes (the windows to the soul)
- Take a picture of a piece of art that feels like a window to another world
- Take a photo of your view from an open window, with no hint of the window in sight.
- Take an image at night (after sunset)
- Take a picture of a view that evokes an emotion
Photos will be evaluated on originality, creativity, and visual spirit. Photos will be judged by a panel of urban design committee members.
The winning photo(s) of this challenge will be featured in the urban design committee’s annual journal, Avenues Vol 4, winner(s) will get their own personal copy of Avenues Vol 3 and the winning entry(s) will get mentioned on our social media platforms.
By participating, you agree that you are the sole author and copyright holder of the material and you grant permission to AIA|DC the right to distribute, publish, or otherwise share your material through social media in connection with this photography competition.
In order to enter, your Instagram account must be open to the public for the duration of the contest. Per Instagram rules, this contest is in no way sponsored, administered, or associated with Instagram, Inc. Instagram rules and conditions apply.
If any questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org