Friday, March 12 2021
This course will review the primary steps involved in designing and specifying wood ceiling and wall systems. Wood, a material as complex in its origin as its use, requires significant processing and evaluation before it can be used to liven an interior space. We'll be starting with the base material - the tree itself - and ending with a discussion of the various applications.
- Understand the various characteristics of wood species.
- Discuss the configurations or profiles most commonly found in wood ceilings & walls.
- Recognize the value of engineering and early involvement.
- Discuss project completion and operations & maintenance.
- Understand and identify the acoustics of a room.
- Review sustainable manufacturing through both product and practice.
- Evaluate the relationship between wood and water.
- Reinforce the need for life safety and the fire performance of wood.
- Compare options and review the concern of seismic zones.
- Discuss solution-based integrations and the benefits of coordinated detailing.
- Determine general costing for specific items and various wood species.