Tuesday, September 11 2018
Please join the AIA|DC Emerging Architects Committee for the fifth annual Thesis Showcase! The four winners of the international competition will present their B.Arch and M.Arch design thesis dissertations to member of the AIA and the public.
This year, the work of the four finalists, along with honorable mentions and other submissions will be exhibited at the District Architecture Center in Next Generation Architects: 5th Annual Thesis Showcase.
The Thesis Showcase program aims to bridge the gap between recent graduates and practicing architects by providing an opportunity for practitioners to view a sample of work emerging from architecture schools. Out of the many submissions received, four finalists will speak for 10 minutes each at the opening presentation, after which a moderator will solicit questions from the audience to facilitate a conversation that draws connections between thesis projects.
Before and after the presentations there will be a networking reception with drinks and snacks, to engage with the presenters and attendees.
The 2018 Thesis Showcase program is supported by a grant from the AIA College of Fellows.
Co-Sponsored by: AIA|DC Technology Committee & AIA|DC Design & Wellbeing Committee
• Zoe Cope - Architectural Ghosts: Storytelling & the Architectural Imaginary
• Wadiah Akbar - An Architecture of Activism
• Lindsay Connelly - The Hereafter: A Mortuary and Museum
• Lonna Babu - Safe Space
After attending this course, participants will be able to:
- Explore recent trends and topics in Architectural Thesis from across the country;
- Investigate real challenges and solutions to diverse questions that surround Architecture and Design;
- Participants will engage in discussion to summarize and compare these innovative ideas and explorations, and how they may be applied to our daily work; and
- Describe the ways in which design exploration (approach and methodologies) can be more connected to help bridge the gap between Academia and Practice