Tuesday, October 23 2018
Join the AIA Capital Area CRAN committee and Project Architect Janet Bloomberg for a tour of a just-completed addition to her mid-century modern home. Hear from the owner-designer, as well as suppliers and sub-contractors involved in the project, about challenges and solutions in the permitting, design, and construction process; how design and engineering issues were resolved; and the pleasures of living in, and adding onto, a Charles Goodman-designed home.
- Networking/Program Intro - 6:00 - 6:30pm
- Program/Tour - 6:30 - 7:30pm
- Happy Hour - 7:30 - 8:30pm
Presenters at this event include:
Janet Bloomberg of KUBE Architecture
Darren Kornas of ThinkMakeBuild
Kevin Campion of Campion Hruby Landscape Architects
Curt Schreffler of CAS Engineering
Tim Delaney of The Sanders Company
Sponsors for this event are:
Campion Hruby Landscape Architects
Design Within Reach
Mersoa Woodwork & Design
The Sanders Company
Riverbend Green Roofs
Organized by: AIA|DC CRAN Committee
Parking: Attendees may park on the court or any neighboring streets. Wheaton Metro is the closest stop and the location may be reached by bus or uber.
At the completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Explain the design process that addressed the challenge of creating an appropriate addition to a Charles Goodman mid-century residence;
- Investigate the civil engineering process of stormwater management, including grading design on a unique site, and the preservation of numerous existing mature trees
- Explore the engineering of a modern addition framed in steel, with a structural concrete slab system on a sloping site; and
- Discuss utilization of landscape elements strategically to enhance new and old architecture, operate as stormwater retention, and perform unique functions in varied locations on the site.