Tuesday, December 06 2022
11:30am - 12:30pm
In today’s competitive employment environment, effective on-boarding has taken on ever-increasing importance, and has moved well beyond the days of setting up the computer and pointing out the break room. Effective execution has expanded in scope to include everything from crafting targeted position descriptions and varied recruitment techniques on the front end to development of firm culture and ongoing professional mentorship on the tail end. The unique situation of many architectural firms creates added complexity, ranging from sole practitioners looking to expand with no full-time support staff to local offices of multi-national firms with well-established HR infrastructure.
Join AIA|DC’s Operations Professionals Peer Committee for an interactive Zoom discussion illuminating both best practices in on-boarding as well as how firms of different sizes and organizational structures have successfully navigated the new employee process. In addition to an overview of standard on-boarding elements and time-frames, representatives from different firms will talk to specific variations that have worked in their unique situations that may be applicable to session attendees. The one-hour session format encourages attendees to join in the discussion.
- Identify best practices for on-boarding of new employees, both for architectural and operations staff.
- Explore current trends in recruiting new employees and defining competitive position descriptions.
- Investigate potential roles for architectural staff in the on-boarding process in addition to traditional operations and human resources personnel.
- Compare different approaches to on-boarding and recruitment between firms of various sizes and organizational structures.
The web-based session will be a moderated discussion led by members of the Operations Professional Peer Committee, but opened up to input from attendees who may bring different perspectives and best practices to the table. Different aspects of on-boarding practice will be featured from firms including:
- Beyer Blinder Belle Architects & Planners
- Perkins Eastman
- Bonstra | Haresign Architects
- MV+A Architects
- Plumbline Operations