Tuesday, April 2 2019
Join us to kickoff Architecture Month as AIA|DC announces the winners of the 2019 AIA|DC Chapter Design Awards, followed by a discussion with the jurors. Discover the value of architecture through award-winning design and see architecture differently.
The annual competition is open exclusively to registered architects and invites submissions in four distinct project categories: architecture, interior architecture, historic resources, and urban design/master planning. Award categories recommended by the jury: Citations in design and wellbeing, sustainable design, universal design, and urban catalyst; Award; Grand Award; and Collaborative Achievement.
2019 Chapter Design Awards Jury:
- Andrew West, AIA – Elkus Manfredi Architects, Boston, MA
- Barbara A. Campagna, FAIA, LEED AP – Barbara A. Campagna/Architecture + Planning, PLLC, Buffalo, NY
- James E. Richärd, AIA – richärd+bauer, Phoenix, AZ
- Michael Gabellini, FAIA – Gabellini Sheppard Associates, New York, NY
- Dina Griffin, FAIA, NOMA, IIDA – Interactive Design Architects, Chicago, IL
Presented by: Mary Fitch, AICP, Hon. AIA
Organized by: AIA|DC
After attending this course, participants will be able to:
- Create a complete and compelling award submission;
- Discuss how Presidential Citations are chosen based on multiple design criteria, including sustainability, universal design, and healthy design;
- List deciding factors jurors look for in architecture, interior architecture, historic resources/preservation, and urban design and master planning awards; and
- Explore how design varies across the country, and how regions influence sustainable and active design considerations.