2017 Award for Excellence in Architecture
Smithsonian Institution, National Museum of African American History & Culture
Freelon Adjaye Bond / SmithGroupJJR (Alan Karchmer/NMAAHC)
The annual AIA|DC Chapter Design Awards competition is open exclusively to registered architects and invites submissions in four distinct project categories: architecture, interior architecture, historic resources, and urban design/master planning. A jury recommends one of two awards: an Award of Merit or an Award of Excellence with the latter representing the higher honor. Presidential Citations may also be awarded for projects in the following categories: design and wellbeing, sustainable design, universal design, and urban catalyst.
The Chapter Design Awards not only demonstrate the value of good design, but also illustrate the wide variety of services performed by architects.
2018 Chapter Design Awards Jury:
- Rick Archer, FAIA - Overland Partners, San Antonio, TX
- Karen Blanchard, AIA - SITIO architecture + urbanism, Philadelphia, PA
- Jean Carroon, FAIA - Goody Clancy & Associates, Boston, MA
- Steve Dumez, FAIA - Eskew+Dumez+Ripple, New Orleans, LA
- Ron Rochon, FAIA - Miller Hull Partnership, Seattle WA