The Design Excellence Committee is a group of architects and designers who educate, recognize and promote design excellence to Chapter members and the community. Our committee does this through events, competitions, lectures, and awards programs. We invite and encourage participation from anyone interested in the field of architecture and design, and we are constantly broadening our reach and creating new outlets to share the excellent design work of our community.
- AIA DC Chapter Awards: The goal of the Design Excellence Committee is to continue our progress in illuminating the chapter’s awards programs though better recognition and celebration. Provide this important recognition and celebration, even if virtual, with the possibility of the following:
- Participate in the planning and organizing of the Awards Program (2021 virtual awards programs and for all non‐virtual awards programs).
- Participate in presenting the award guidelines and evaluation recommendations to the Chapter Awards Jury.
- Participate in the presentation of the Jury introductions and Chapter Award and #ISeeDC Instagram Winners.
- To work with the DAC on insuring that all Chapter Award program include “Jury Feedback” or virtual jury roundtable.
- DAC Storefront Windows: Make recommendations to the DAC that the Chapter Design Award and #ISeeDC 2020 Instagram photo winners be showcased in the DAC storefront windows.
Add more design jurors to the master jury list.
Continue the #ISeeDC Instagram photo contest.
Encourage members of the AIA|DC Board to attend and participate in Design Excellence Committee meetings.
Commissioned Professional Unbuilt Awards: This will be a new category for the 2021 Chapter Awards program with a focus on unbuilt commissions submitted by registered architects and design firms.
Theoretical Unbuilt Awards: The Design Excellence committee is currently evaluating a separate awards program with a focus on student projects, academic work or professional theoretical work. The timing of the awards program is under review by the committee.
Washingtonian Hospitality Award: The Washingtonian Hospitality Awards was postponed this year due to the 2020 pandemic. The committee is fully committed to reinstituting this program in 2021 or 2022 pending the status of the pandemic, Washingtonian’s interest in the program, and how much hospitality work has been completed during the pandemic.
Continue outreach with other committees and partner with these committees on continuing education lectures or design competitions.
Continue to support the DC Chapter in following the AIA Framework for Design Excellence.
The Design Excellence Committee meets monthly.
Lectures and events are organized around the awards programs as well as other architectural events going on in the community.
Please see the AIADC calendar for the Design Excellence Committee's meetings and other events.